Monday, April 13, 2009

... honest to blog

after commenting to a friend that not really enough was happening in my life to blog about, i have some news: i will be preaching a sermon this sunday at my church!

i'll be considering john 1:1-5. i was up very late last night thinking about it, reading through books i have and comparing different versions of the Bible to see how it's translated. hopefully i'll be able to bring out one or two points that will link last week's passage (on the post-resurrection appearances of Jesus in john 20) and next week's passage (genesis 1, first in an 8-week series on genesis 1-3). something that stood out for me last night was john "why" for writing his gospel:
now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name. - [john 20:30-31, esv]
i guess we'll see how i go.

i'd really appreciate prayer for this endeavour. i was only asked to do this yesterday and had only a few hours to consider my answer but who knows if this might not be God asking me to step up and try something i've not done before? i've given talks and run small groups for a long time and perhaps this is a chance to exercise a nascent spiritual gift i didn't know i had.

plus, i'm very scared. i want to do a good job.

5 comments:

Femina said...

Shall pray.

I like the new blog layout, by the way...

Matthew said...

Very exciting, mate. You'll have to let us know how it all went the next day.

The first time is always a challenge - as is the second time - and the third ...

And even when you think you've got the hang of preaching, you get challenged in other ways.

Hope it really speaks to people's lives.

Barb Totterdell said...

thinking and praying for you. I reckon the scary thing about preaching is that it first applies to you!
Are you preaching in the morning or at night?

dr maya vale said...

i'll be preaching at the 7pm service and i'm going to make sure there's a recording. this sunday. argh!

Barb Totterdell said...

in that case I'll at least have my spies even if I'm not there :) which I probably won't be leading a service myself at 5pm in Fairfield and having been on a retreat all weekend but you never know - we shall see.