Monday, February 27, 2006

... risk sucks

although i went to mars hill cafe on friday night after work, i didn't read any poetry. on the last friday of the month, mars hill hosts what they call "one word", which is basically a poetry and spoken word open mic night. this month they tried something a little different with a couple of guest artists to open the night, "the rooks", a brother-sister rap duo from cabramatta, and "bravo charlie" (i think that was his name), a slam poet and freestyler who won the latest poetry slam competition run by the state library. they were both pretty good. some people got up afterwards to read their own stuff, along with a stand-up comedian (i think) who worked through some pretty good material. a big thanks to the psychology students who helped me with the magical moving bus stops on route 545.

the headline for this post, however, stems from my foolish agreement to play risk on saturday night. i had a great time and was in great company, and i'm looking forward to the next time we play boardgames, but my curse in risk has not changed. i drew a mission that i had almost no hope of achieving, and was hounded to extinction by my hostess, who had drawn "destroy all green forces" (my colour). to be fair, she was sitting two people away from me, and not actually NEXT to me (the usual position of my risk-nemesis). i hate this game. thankfully, the consensus seems to be monopoly for next time... i have a fighting chance there...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Risk sux? You mean Monopoly sux!!! My goodness, the most BORING game ever invented and you actually WANT to play it? At least Risk has a bit of excitement to it. The most exciting thing that ever happens when I play Monopoly is when you have a breakdown half way through after I've decided I've had enough - even though I swore this time I'd see it through. You always fall for it...

dr maya vale said...

yes, well, sister dearest, if charles m. schultz ever wrote a peanuts comic where charlie brown went crazy and put lucy's head on a spike, you know i'd frame it and put it on a wall somewhere...

just shows everyone's different, i guess...

on the plus side, at least i do keep trying to play risk...